Saturday, January 30, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies - Yum!


This is a recipe I found on the internet years ago...I'm not even sure where it's from.  It was a recipe for a cookie mix in a jar that you could give as a gift.  I can't even remember if I ever gave it as a gift...hmm.  I morphed it into a full recipe and it is one of my hubby's favorite treats.  And, it's not half bad for you, if you don't count all that butter.  After all, it does have whole grain in it (whole wheat flour and oats).

I didn't take any pics until the dough was mixed.  Sorry!  I must get better at remembering to take pics when I start the recipe, not half way through.  Today, I did manage to get flour on my camera though, go figure.  (It was from a different recipe.  I'll post that tomorrow if it is worthy of sharing.  It's a new recipe.)  I'm surprised I haven't slopped on it sooner as I can tell you with complete confidence, I am a very messy cook/baker!

These are soooo gooood!   The cinnamon gives them the greatest flavor.  Let's get to it!

INGREDIENTS:
1 ½ cup butter (3 sticks)
3 eggs
1 ½ tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour (or 1 cup all-purpose flour & 1 ½ cup wheat flour) - and yes you read that right...if you're using all white flour, use only 2 cups.  If it's a mix of white and wheat, use 2 1/2 cups total)
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 bag choc chips
4 ½ cups oatmeal (I used steel cut oats)

DIRECTIONS:
In bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.  Add oatmeal, mix thoroughly.  Set aside.  In separate large bowl, cream sugar and butter. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well.  Gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture. Stir and mix well. Add choc chips.


I used 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour.  I like Hungarian Stone Ground Style Whole Wheat Flour.  It's a high altitude flour and works well for us here--where we're at a high altitude!  Sorry, couldn't resist.  Do you see that cookie scoop?



This is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.  It's a small ice cream/cookie scoop.  If you don't have one, get one.  Now.  They make scooping cookie dough so easy, and your cookies turn out all the same size!  You can get one most places where kitchen gadgets are sold.  Get a metal one, they work far better than the original plastic one I bought.  I've had mine for quite a few years, but don't know what I did without it.


Drop by rounded scoops onto parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 7-9 minutes.


Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.


 
Makes 5 dozen cookies 
 
Bon Appetit!

Kelly~

No comments:

Post a Comment