Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Savory Stuffed Meatloaf


Mmmm, meatloaf!  I grew up with meatloaf, albeit a very basic version.  My mom was a good cook but there wasn't much variety to our meals (very basic-- meat, potato and veggie), and the only seasonings I remember using were salt, pepper and Lawrys. There was a time when she made liver and onions...and I used to eat it and like it.  Eeeww...moving on...the topic is meatloaf!

A bit of meatloaf trivia... (from my trusted sources at Wikipedia)
  • Meatloaf has European origins, dating back to the 5th century.
  • It is a traditional German/Belgian/Dutch dish.
  • It is cousin to the Italian meatball.
  • American meatloaf has it's origins in scrapple a mixture of ground pork and cornmeal served by German-Americans in Pennsylvania since Colonial times.
  • The American version is usually topped with ketchup.
  • Happens to be Marvin O'Day's rocker name, and one of my all time favorites from the 80s.  Did I mention I met him once upon a time?  Did I mention I still listen to both Bat Out of Hell I & II?
Typically, when I make meatloaf, I toss in a variety of things I happen to have on hand, from peppers and mushrooms--ooh, I love mushrooms, they should be their own food group, but I digress--to oatmeal, eggs and hot sauce, with every type of seasoning you can imagine.  And I NEVER measure anything.  As long as it sticks together, we're good.

For today's post, however, I did measure everything and checked it twice so I could share the recipe.


I adapted this recipe from Betty Crocker's Hamburger Cookbook, circa 1977.  Yes, it's a magazine cookbook.  See, in 1977 it was $2.95.

MEAT MIXTURE INGREDIENTS:
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup crumbled bacon (I use Hormel Real Crumbled Bacon)
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup oatmeal
2 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic (or garlic powder)


Yes, I know not all the ingredients are pictured...and yes, the onions and spinach are for the stuffing mixture.

Combine all meat mixture ingredients.


Spread 2/3 of meat mixture in ungreased large (9x5) loaf pan.  Line the pan, pressing flat on the bottom and up the sides to within 3/4 inch of the top edge.

STUFFING INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup fresh leaf spinach
2 cups soft bread, cubed (I used whole wheat bread)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup cheddar/jack cheese, shredded


Melt butter in skillet. Add onion and spinach.  Cook and stir until onion is tender.  Remove from heat. 


Stir onions and spinach in with remaining stuffing ingredients.

Spoon stuffing mixture into the middle of the meat mixture.  Press firmly. 


Top with remaining meat mixture, covering stuffing completely.

Bake in 375 oven for 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked through completely.  Drain off fat.  Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.


Delicious!

Next time, for a different variation, I think I'll stuff it with a layer of cheddar cheese, followed by sliced tomatoes, a layer of feta cheese and a layer of sliced mushrooms. Hey Trudy!  Remember those giant stuffed burgers we made on the grill when we were in high school?  Yeah, I'll make them like that.  :)

Makes 8 servings

Gute Meatloaf!! (English translation:  Good meatloaf!)

Kelly~

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like some really yummy meatloaf!
    I don't usually make meatloaf, but I think you just changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by!

    Erin - it was a very good meatloaf that you could stuff with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone likes tocook..I'd like to start a restaurant in flood ravaged cedar rapids....

    ReplyDelete